Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

in2666

Can I get credit for depreciated item (vinyl plank flooring) taken out of service 6.5 years early because it was ruined?

Last year I put in brand new vinyl plank flooring in the basement of my rental property and depreciated the cost over 7 years but tenants ruined the floor in 6 short months and it had to be torn out and re-done with completely new material after they were evicted. Is there a way to remove the floor from my depreciated items since it is no longer in service, but still receive "credit" for the expense? I tried taking the item out of service on Turbo Tax but it did not change my amount due, so do I just have to eat the cost of that? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Can I get credit for depreciated item (vinyl plank flooring) taken out of service 6.5 years early because it was ruined?

You can dispose of the asset (as you did) and indicate the date of the disposal. Depreciation will be calculated up to the disposal date.

Then add the new flooring asset and begin depreciating it over its useful life.

There are remedies in court (but not on your taxes) for damages a tenant may cause to your property beyond what you hold for their deposit. If the costs were considerable, this can be your best solution. Garnishments can also be pursued for judgments in your favor in order to collect what is owed to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies