turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bfouke

Can I enter more than 20 1099-Rs? I have 24 1099-R forms, only 20 were imported, seems to be a limit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I enter more than 20 1099-Rs? I have 24 1099-R forms, only 20 were imported, seems to be a limit.

Yeah..that's an issue, and an IRS limit.

Some brokers issue a 1099-R for every holding in your account, even if it's the same IRA or 401k account  (mine doesn't thankfully).

So...here's what you have to do........that might work

You can (manually) combine 1099-R forms to chop the number down below 20 ....but ONLY IF: 

1) IF from the same broker & EIN....and for the same person

2)  IF the box 7 code is exactly the same on each of those combined

3) And a critical condition..... IF no tax withholding was done for the 1099-R forms being combined.

(added later)  #4)   the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE checkbox needs to be the same too

Otherwise, you will have to print out your tax return and file by mail.  (you can still combine the 1099-R's with withholding, but you will have to file by mail, and send the IRS copies of every tax form with withholding on it.

Next year.....see if you can remove $$ from only select funds, so that only a few re affected....of move some funds into the IRS's or 401k's cash holding inside that retirement account, and take only out of the cash holding every year.  Talk to your Broker/fund administrator to see how to arrange to do that.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yeah..that's an issue, and an IRS limit.

Some brokers issue a 1099-R for every holding in your account, even if it's the same IRA or 401k account  (mine doesn't thankfully).

So...here's what you have to do........that might work

You can (manually) combine 1099-R forms to chop the number down below 20 ....but ONLY IF: 

1) IF from the same broker & EIN....and for the same person

2)  IF the box 7 code is exactly the same on each of those combined

3) And a critical condition..... IF no tax withholding was done for the 1099-R forms being combined.

(added later)  #4)   the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE checkbox needs to be the same too

Otherwise, you will have to print out your tax return and file by mail.  (you can still combine the 1099-R's with withholding, but you will have to file by mail, and send the IRS copies of every tax form with withholding on it.

Next year.....see if you can remove $$ from only select funds, so that only a few re affected....of move some funds into the IRS's or 401k's cash holding inside that retirement account, and take only out of the cash holding every year.  Talk to your Broker/fund administrator to see how to arrange to do that.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I agree with everything but #3 ... withholding is not critical for efiling.  When you efile the IRS only looks at the issuer's EIN  and not the withholding amount.  So #1 is critical ... all the combined forms must have the same EIN & for the same person.

I'm an agnostic on that....we do have another person here that insists the withholding ones cannot be combined.  You could always combine them...and e-file..and IF the IRS comes back next year and questions you, you send them copies of the 1099-R forms as proof.

We can't know everything about why the person has so many 1099-R forms, so requirement #2 is necessary, since they could have some unusual box 7 codes mixed in that need to be handled separately

And I'm adding  a #4)   the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE checkbox needs to be the same too

And yeah that EIN detail needs to be confirmed and limited too. anything else?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies