turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I add an explanation regarding a 1099-R? I would like to include it with return?

I did what I'll call a "split rollout" from my TIRA (had comingled pre and after tax contributions) to two accounts...the pretax portion went into my 401K which allows such transfers, and the remaining after-tax portion went into my Roth IRA. However, the 1099-R I received shows the entire amount that went to the Roth as Taxable. I've learned that this is NOT an error by the custodian, and the 8606 (and TT) both indicate no tax is due, but I still want to explain this in my return to prevent problems later.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Can I add an explanation regarding a 1099-R? I would like to include it with return?

No, you cannot add an attachment to an e-filed tax return. TurboTax doesn't provide this feature, in part because the IRS and state e-file systems would not be able to recognize them as a tax form and check their accuracy.

You may print your return, attach your document regarding a "split rollout" 1099-R, and paper file your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

OK, but then why do I have an "Explanation Statement" form created in my 2021return related to Form 1116?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The IRS requires or allows a statement for some actions, @nc cpl.  In those cases, TurboTax has screens so you can enter a statement.

The IRS sometimes misses seeing statements filed with a paper return when they are not necessary, You may want to include your explanation on Form 8275,

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Would it be best to NOT include any explanation if TT isn't prompting for one. Sometimes better to just leave as is rather than stir the beast?

Use TurboTax CD/download which, as I recall,  will allow an "explanation" for 1040 Line 4 or 5 when you e-File.

TurboTax Online won't do this.

Don't ask why the services are different, it makes no sense.

It's been like this a long time.

I guess TurboTax does not see consistency as a high priority.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies