Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dyckmartha
Returning Member

Form 1099-R, Box 9a

TurboTax wants me to fill in Box 9a and there is no Box 9a on my 1099-R
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Form 1099-R, Box 9a

Box 9a, percent of total distribution, is generally used when a 1099-R distribution is split between more than one person. This is unusual, and if it was empty on the form you received you can leave it blank in TurboTax.

Option 1. You should leave box 9a blank in TurboTax if that section is blank/missing on your 1099-R. Click in the box and hit the backspace/delete buttons several times (or hold them down) to make sure the box is really empty. 

Option 2. If you are unable to leave the space empty (if you receive an error message), then you will need to delete and manually re-enter the form. Here are the steps to do that: 

1. While logged into your tax return, use the search box to search for "1099-r" (without the quotation marks)
  2. Click on "Jump to 1099-R" if it appears.
  3. If you have already entered a 1099-R you will come to a summary screen. Click "delete" next to the 1099-R you wish to delete. Confirm that "yes," you want to delete.
  4. You will be taken back to the 1099-R summary screen. Select "Add a 1099-R" and then "I'll type it in myself"
  5. Enter the information and leave box 9a blank when you get to that part. 
Option 3. If none of the above works and the program still isn't accepting a blank, go ahead and enter "100" here, (if the 1099-R was not distributed among others also- since you received 100% of the distribution). This work-around should resolve the problem.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MichaelDC

Form 1099-R, Box 9a

Box 9a, percent of total distribution, is generally used when a 1099-R distribution is split between more than one person. This is unusual, and if it was empty on the form you received you can leave it blank in TurboTax.

Option 1. You should leave box 9a blank in TurboTax if that section is blank/missing on your 1099-R. Click in the box and hit the backspace/delete buttons several times (or hold them down) to make sure the box is really empty. 

Option 2. If you are unable to leave the space empty (if you receive an error message), then you will need to delete and manually re-enter the form. Here are the steps to do that: 

1. While logged into your tax return, use the search box to search for "1099-r" (without the quotation marks)
  2. Click on "Jump to 1099-R" if it appears.
  3. If you have already entered a 1099-R you will come to a summary screen. Click "delete" next to the 1099-R you wish to delete. Confirm that "yes," you want to delete.
  4. You will be taken back to the 1099-R summary screen. Select "Add a 1099-R" and then "I'll type it in myself"
  5. Enter the information and leave box 9a blank when you get to that part. 
Option 3. If none of the above works and the program still isn't accepting a blank, go ahead and enter "100" here, (if the 1099-R was not distributed among others also- since you received 100% of the distribution). This work-around should resolve the problem.
Gia2020

Form 1099-R, Box 9a

You’re a genius Michael DC. That backspace was just the trick.  You have no idea how long I’ve been trying to get passed that 9A.  THANK YOU!

Form 1099-R, Box 9a

the value in box 9a of the 1099-R that I received is "0%" even though I rolled over 100% of a lump sum distribution into an IRA.  What should I enter into Turbo Tax?

lcbennett

Form 1099-R, Box 9a

That fixed it for me, Thanks.

Kevin1904

Form 1099-R, Box 9a

Option 3 appears to have worked. 

The Manager of your User Review staff needs to be terminated and his salary sent to me. I have over 30+ years testing HIGH TECHNICAL software for problems that simple users encounter. Supported CBT for F-14 pilots, supported the development of The International Space Station (found a lot of simple user problems with this one), supported CBT development and delivery to the National Weather Service ( not a many simple user problems). And a few other systems.

The most interesting problem that I found was when the MOST COMMON USER ERROR caused a complete system failure/freeze.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies