Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

-tgmm123

As a USPHS officer on active duty I am not a member of the armed forces. Will I be missing out on potential qualifying tax benefits as a member of uniformed services?

IRS states as a member of the uniformed services, United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, we may qualify for military tax benefits.  Turbo tax only asks if one is a member of the armed forces which we are not armed service members but active duty uniformed service members. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anita01

As a USPHS officer on active duty I am not a member of the armed forces. Will I be missing out on potential qualifying tax benefits as a member of uniformed services?

No, the tax benefits are for members of the armed forces. 

Good Question.

The Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act of 2003 applies to active duty USPHS officers.

Also, your active duty pay is likely taxed based on your state of legal residence, which may not be where you are geographically serving similar to Armed Forces. E.g., serving in Maryland but taxed under South Dakota if SD is your state of legal residence. 

I hope TurboTax is able to weigh in on this. Seems like something they missed.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You may be eligible for military tax benefits.  You will need to contact your human resources department to help you determine what you may or may not be eligible for.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/military/eligibility-for-military-tax-benefits

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies