turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My state refund came back less because of my husbands KAPERS which was what he put in he wasn"t there long enough for the company to match so Kansas used it as income.?

Its about what I wrote before .  My husband had KAPERS when he worked for Geary Community Hospital . He was not there long enough for them to match his money into the account this money is all his. So I did our taxes with turbo tax and expected roughly 350.00 from the state of Kansas but they are claiming that this 3,396.00 was income. when instead it was to go to a retirement.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Karen1209

My state refund came back less because of my husbands KAPERS which was what he put in he wasn"t there long enough for the company to match so Kansas used it as income.?

According to the Kansas Department of Revenue, those contributions are taxable.  Please see below:

The amount you contributed from your salary to the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System is not taxable on your Federal return but is taxable on the Kansas return. Therefore, you must report this amount on Kansas Schedule S, Part A.

To determine the amount to be reported on your Kansas income tax return, you must subtract the amount shown on your W-2 in the wages, tips and compensation income box from the amount shown in the state and local wages income box on your W-2. Some employers will provide this figure for you on your W-2, indicating the amount is KPERS.

https://ksrevenue.org/faqs-taxii.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Karen1209

According to the Kansas Department of Revenue, those contributions are taxable.  Please see below:

The amount you contributed from your salary to the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System is not taxable on your Federal return but is taxable on the Kansas return. Therefore, you must report this amount on Kansas Schedule S, Part A.

To determine the amount to be reported on your Kansas income tax return, you must subtract the amount shown on your W-2 in the wages, tips and compensation income box from the amount shown in the state and local wages income box on your W-2. Some employers will provide this figure for you on your W-2, indicating the amount is KPERS.

https://ksrevenue.org/faqs-taxii.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies