turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

haysej

IRS shows that military pension is excluded from MAGI for IRA limits. How to I get TurboTax to reflect this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

IRS shows that military pension is excluded from MAGI for IRA limits. How to I get TurboTax to reflect this?

can you add a comment where you see that the pension income is excluded from MAGI so I can do some research on this.

The Modified AGI worksheet in IRS Publication 590-A does not reference anything concerning military pensions as being excluded from the MAGI calculation for an IRA - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590a#en_US_2016_publink100025076">https://www.irs.gov/publications...>
haysej

Is "military pension" not considered "pension?" 590-A indicates that compensation for purposes of an IRA does not include income from pensions.
haysej

590-A Table 1-1 shows that compensation for purposes of an IRA excludes pensions

The worksheet for MAGI does not indicate pensions at all.

Understood. He's misreading table 1.1
haysej

I don't understand.  Does table 1.1 not indicate that pension is excluded from AGI for IRA purposes?

Table 1 shows it is not compensation, so it not considered earned income in taking an IRA deduction.  It is not referring to the MAGI limits in table 1.
haysej

OK thanks, so for the purposes of determining how much of my contribution is deductible I must include my military pension income?

yes, it will be part of the MAGI computation.  I am putting as answer below so we can close this question out as answered.

Yes, Military pension will be part of the MAGI computation.  I am putting as answer below so we can close this question out as answered.

Thank you for your service and happy we could clarify this for you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies