Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2020 TurboTax Software, CARES Act and 401K Withdrawal Tax Burden

@Vickmorn wrote:

Which version of TurboTax are you all using to manage the CARES Act withdrawals?  Deluxe or Premier?

All the TurboTax desktop editions include Form 8915-E with a software update on 02/26/2021.  All of the TurboTax online editions have been updated to use the Form 8915-E.

Deb Kelly
Returning Member

I am using premier desktop which works now.  hooray 

What form do I fill out on my Wisconsin Taxes for this 401 withdrawal tax burden?

Deb Kelly
Returning Member

sorry. I do not know-   I am in Florida- no state income taxes..moved here from New York 

SamS1
Expert Alumni

@k9208722637 There is no additional Wisconsin form needed.  Wisconsin is accepting the 8915E.  Click here for information on updates to 2020 Wisconsin Tax Law.  The 8915-E will be used for penalty relief from early retirement plan distributions and include the option to spread the distribution income over 3 years.  This may be a good option if the distribution is pushing you into a higher marginal tax bracket.  You may end up paying less tax if you spread the distribution over the 3 years

Deluxe

No additional form needed; however, TurboTax has not resolved the issue they are having with the Wisconsin penalty on 401k withdrawls under Cares Act.   The desktop version is still providing an error regarding this, and not allowing anyone to file Wisconsin taxes.

https://www.reinhartlaw.com/knowledge/gov-e[product key removed]nsin-covid-19-relief-act-into-law/#:....

On April 15, 2020, Gov. Evers signed into law 2019 Wisconsin Act 185 (Act 185), providing COVID-19 relief for the State of Wisconsin. Act 185 provides several important changes to the State Income and Franchise Tax and the Property Tax.

Income/Franchise Tax Provisions

Act 185 adopts a number of changes to conform Wisconsin’s income and franchise tax laws to changes enacted by Congress and President Trump in March 2020, to the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) in response to COVID-19. The changes are detailed below:

• Retirement Accounts – The CARES Act provided several changes for retirement accounts including suspending required minimum distributions, increasing 401(k) loan limitations, and creating a coronavirus-related distribution.

The coronavirus-related distribution allows for up to $100,000 to be withdrawn from a retirement account exempt from the 10 percent penalty tax. To qualify, the individual or their spouse must have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or experienced adverse financial consequences caused by COVID-19. Any amount of the distribution that is taxable can be recognized over the next three years or the taxpayer can elect to treat the distribution as taxable in 2020.

For Wisconsin income tax purposes, otherwise applicable penalties on distributions from a retirement account qualified under the IRC will be waived for tax year 2020. In addition, for Wisconsin income tax, these distributions, subject to a number of conditions, will be exempt from tax.

I pulled $100k from my 401k using the cares act. Will I still receive the stimulus or will that make me ineligible? 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, the answer would likely be yes, it could make you ineligible. A withdrawal that increased your income past the thresholds would make you ineligible.  The IRS is using the adjusted gross income, which is $75,000 for an individual and $150,000 for a couple.  If you do take a withdrawal out, it is considered a part of that adjusted gross income. This works against you, but by choosing the three year option, it's counting only the taxable amount.  

If one third still puts you over the threshold, then you will not receive your stimulus.

Here is the most recent updated information for the third economic impact payment (EIP) stimulus payments. IRS EIP3 page 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Great explanation. I payed all the taxes this year causing me to exceed the limit. Thank you! 

I selected to do the Tax Burden on this year, but would like to change back to spreading it over 3 years? How do I do that?

If you have not already submitted your filing, go back in and edit that 1099-R, and it will take you through all of the options again, and you will be able to identify that you want to spread out over the 3 years (I think you "uncheck" the box).  If you have already submitted your filing, I am not sure what you will need to do.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you already filed you'll need to amend your return

• To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed. 
  • You can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return, but most states require amendments to be printed and filed by mail.
  • Allow 16 weeks for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
drlamb1

So I chose this option in 2020, to spread the tax burden over 3 years. How will we report this properly in 2021's taxes? 

@drlamb1 wrote:

So I chose this option in 2020, to spread the tax burden over 3 years. How will we report this properly in 2021's taxes? 

Using the new 8915-F form that is still in the draft state at the IRS.       Probable be a month of two before it is released.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies