Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ariasimps

I cashed out a life insurance policy this year, the taxable income amount was withheld. Do I need to report this as income, if the amount is already withheld?

I had 10k taxable income, 1k was withheld. I don't want to pay taxes on it twice
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I cashed out a life insurance policy this year, the taxable income amount was withheld. Do I need to report this as income, if the amount is already withheld?

Generally, when  you cash out a whole life policy there is no way you will get back more than you paid in to the policy. Additionally, you paid all those premiums with dollars which you already paid taxes on in the year the premiums were paid. So there's nothing to report. But of course, never say never.

Some whole life policies have dividends or other earnings that accumulate over time. When you cash out the policy the cash out will include those earnings, which are taxable income to the recipient. In such a case the insurance company will issue a tax reporting document (usually a 1099-R) to the recipient which then has to be reported on the recipient's tax return.

So if you did not get a tax reporting document concerning your cash out, you have nothing taxable or reportable to include on  your tax return.

Phanmus
Returning Member

As a senior,  I cashed out three insurance policies receiving only about $2,000.   I have borrowed from them several times over the past 15 years to help pay bills.  I have had the policies reduced by the insurance. companies each year as repayment of principal and interest on the policies.   Now they have now sent me 1099-R forms saying almost $50 was the gross distribution on the three policies.  Is this $50 K income I have to pay taxes on?

The taxable amount should be in box 2a.    Contact the issuer for an explanation.   Nobody here can know the terms of your policy.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Since you indicate that you had tax withheld, your insurance company should be sending you a 1099-R or similar statement so that you can reconcile these amounts on your tax return.

You should wait to file your tax return until you have this document.

If you do not have it by the middle of February, contact the insurance company and ask them to re-send it. 

This document will contain the information necessary to report the distribution on your tax return.  

The amount withheld was not likely the exact amount due on the distribution.  You may owe more, or you may even be due a refund!  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies