Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1099-R Box 14a for efiling New York State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution (nothing in box 16 on my form).

@GboJaw wrote:

I saw your note from last year and had a question about NC that relates to your answer.  My 1099R box 2a is blank and the box 16 is blank.  In the follow up page labeled "Source of Distribution" and after the boxes for "Bailey, Railroad, etc." for that particular payor, the "state distribution amount" is left blank but the NC State ID number is filled in automatically.   Do I need to type the gross distribution amount in the box.  I assume this is to assure the gross distribution is taxable in NC if the taxable amount in 2A is left blank.  Thanks 

If there is an amount in box 14 then make box 16 the same as box 1, not 2a.   Box 1 is the gross amount box 2a might be the *taxable* amount unless that could not be determined by the issuer in which case it would be zero and box 2b checked.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jarocho

1099-R Box 14a for efiling New York State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution (nothing in box 16 on my form).

I experienced this issue today. Make sure the client has entered the state distribution amount, not just the witholdings amount. It should correct the issue after that.

Thank you to all those in the turbo tax community who helped me e-file my NY State tax return (was previously unable due to glitch in 1099 R form and box 16 being left blank).  You were way more helpful than turbo tax

PBD1
Level 1

4/10/2022:  SteamTrain, thank you SO much for your additional comment!  I live in NY.  My uploaded 1099-R from our financial company showed our (voluntary) withholding of estimated NYS taxes in Box 14 but showed "$0.00" in Box 16 State distribution.  (Traditional IRA to Roth IRA conversion)  Employee Tax Expert LenaH's post gave me hope but YOUR reply was EXACTLY what I needed to see!  I entered the same dollar amount from Box 1 into Box 16 and SUCCESSFULLY e-filed both our Federal and NYS returns!  Again, thank you!  🙂

Thanks so much for the help. Its appreciated. Turbo Tax had the same problem last year. I guess this is the last year I buy it. 

I have nothing in box 14, I tried your suggestion and it did not work. I am still struggling !

@bbrafman wrote:

I have nothing in box 14, I tried your suggestion and it did not work. I am still struggling !

If box 14 is empty then then all boxes 14, 15 & 16 must be blank.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I tried that, but I still got the error. Now what?

@bbrafman wrote:

I tried that, but I still got the error. Now what?

Try deleting the 1099-R and re-enter.  Don't put anything in boxes 14-16.

Exactly what does the error say?

Having the same 1099R problem as others.  Why is this not flagged until the very last step in the filing process?  Why is it still an issue on April 18th?  None of the suggestions noted here have worked for me. 

Actually, TT did correct the issue. Close your TT entirely. When you reopen it you will be asked if you want the updates. Go through the whole update process and you will see an update for NY. Once the updates are complete, your issue should be resolved. This worked for me today.

schuckb
Returning Member

Sorry to jump in, but I had an RMD on a small account and the distribution was $115.67.  I asked Vanguard to withhold the entire amount as a NY State tax deduction.  

Now I can not E-File because box 14 (State Tax withheld) EQUALS box 1 and box 16 (State distribution).  I did not have to withhold the entire amount when I did the transaction; I could have done this in many other ways, but I had my reason for preferring this.  Why (rhetorically) is this a problem???  There is nothing untoward about sending the entire deduction to the state, and Vanguard allowed it.

I tried deleting and manually reentering.  I tried updating TT (again).  I am still stuck in the loop.

Anyway, I am guessing (because I am getting refunds and not required to pay) that maybe I will have to ask for an extension and sort this out tomorrow.  Woof.

Any suggestions.  Thanks in advance

@schuckb wrote:

Sorry to jump in, but I had an RMD on a small account and the distribution was $115.67.  I asked Vanguard to withhold the entire amount as a NY State tax deduction.  

Now I can not E-File because box 14 (State Tax withheld) EQUALS box 1 and box 16 (State distribution).  I did not have to withhold the entire amount when I did the transaction; I could have done this in many other ways, but I had my reason for preferring this.  Why (rhetorically) is this a problem???  There is nothing untoward about sending the entire deduction to the state, and Vanguard allowed it.

I tried deleting and manually reentering.  I tried updating TT (again).  I am still stuck in the loop.

Anyway, I am guessing (because I am getting refunds and not required to pay) that maybe I will have to ask for an extension and sort this out tomorrow.  Woof.

Any suggestions.  Thanks in advance

Box 14 is the same as box 1???   You need to contact the 1099-R issuer for a corrected 1099-R since that is obviously incorrect.

schuckb
Returning Member

Yes.  Box 14 (State Tax Withheld) is the same as Box 1 (Gross Distribution).

I had an RMD of $115.67 and I asked Vanguard to send the entire amount to NY as a tax withholding since I usually owe NYS a small amount at the end of each year.  I did ask the Vanguard rep if that was possible, he said yes, and it was done.  There isn't anything to correct that I can see.

Or am I missing something?

Change the amount in box 14 by $1.00. Maybe that will work for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies