Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcgarrde

1040ES form

Finished federal return, all income received had tax withheld by retirement plan administrators (reflected on 1099Rs). Final fed tax owed only $291. The print preview function includes 1040ES forms for 2021, requiring $551 quarterly pymts.  Why?? Is this a program bug?? Been using TurboTax for over 20 years never had this problem before.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1040ES form

Turbo Tax is very conservative and doesn't want you to owe next year.  They might have printed out if you got a big one time increase in income.   like if you took a IRA or 401K Withdrawal or had a big stock gain.  They are optional to pay.  They don't get sent in with your tax return so the IRS won't be expecting them.  You can ignore them.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

1040ES form

Generally you'd use the 1040 - ES if you're self employed or if you have significant other income from which there's no withholding, requiring you to pay quarterly estimated taxes to avoid underpayment or late payment penalties. 

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**
mcgarrde

1040ES form

Thanks, The federal withholding from all sources during 2020 was just over $18k which was submitted by plan administrators through out the year.  Don't understand why the 1040ES are required for 2021. If I were to make these suggested quarterly payments I would overpay next year's federal taxes by about $2k (which I do not plan to do). My question is why is the tax program generating the 1040ES forms?

1040ES form

Turbo Tax is very conservative and doesn't want you to owe next year.  They might have printed out if you got a big one time increase in income.   like if you took a IRA or 401K Withdrawal or had a big stock gain.  They are optional to pay.  They don't get sent in with your tax return so the IRS won't be expecting them.  You can ignore them.

mcgarrde

1040ES form

Thanks for the response,

easeybob

1040ES form

I needed to prepare 1040ES forms for2021. Turbo tax failed to run calculations.  Now what?

1040ES form

You can still go back into your account and "force" the TurboTax system to generate 1040ES forms/stubs for you. Click on the magnifying glass icon at the top right of the screen and enter "1040ES" and the instructions for generating for 2021 will be right there for you.

eilerce

1040ES form

All it gave me was old QandA that doesnt help me find the form I need. Thanks for trying. If you could try it for yourself, maybe the system has changed and let me know. thanks again.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

1040ES form

Follow the steps outlined below to get TurboTax to generate Form 1040-ES payment vouchers for next year.    When you search, make sure you are all the way inside of your return.  If you search from the Home Page, you will not get the desired results.  

When you prepare your 2020 return, we'll automatically calculate your 2021 estimated tax payments and prepare 1040-ES vouchers if we think you may be at risk for an underpayment penalty next year.    You can also calculate your 2021 estimated taxes and generate the payment vouchers by doing this:

1. With your tax return open, search for 1040-es (be sure to include the dash) and select the Jump to 1040-es link.
  2. Answer No to the question Do you want to change your W-4 withholdings for 2021?
  3. Answer the questions about things like your 2021 filing status, income, and deductions.
  4. Eventually, you'll come to the Print Vouchers? screen.  Answer Yes and we'll include your 2021 1040-ES payment vouchers when you print a copy of your return later.   @eilerce
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
eilerce

1040ES form

thanks for your advise.

I could not find the 1040-es or control number for postmates whereas they gave me only a 1099-nec

turbotax said if I select the expensive package it would pay for itself. well it didn't

I owe turbotax $170 and the feds more. I may get a small amount back from state but working 2 jobs to survive and I still owe taxes means I loose. :(

1040ES form

You get the 1099NEC for Income you received.  That is self employment income.  You enter it into your tax return on Schedule C .

The 1040 ES are quarterly estimated payment slips you fill out to send the IRS extra payments for NEXT year to cover the self employment tax since they don't take out any withholding like from W2 wages.  The 1040ES are optional to pay.  

1099NEC is self employment income.  To report your self employment income you will fill out schedule C in your personal 1040 tax return and pay SE self employment Tax.  You can enter Self Employment Income into Online Deluxe or Premier but if you have any expenses you will have to upgrade to the Self Employed version.  How to enter self employment income

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

Self Employment tax (Scheduled SE) is automatically generated if a person has $400 or more of net profit from self-employment.  You pay 15.3% SE tax on 92.35% of your Net Profit greater than $400.  The 15.3% self employed SE Tax is to pay both the employer part and employee part of Social Security and Medicare.  So you get social security credit for it when you retire.  

The SE tax is already included in your tax due or reduced your refund.  It is on the 1040 Schedule 2 line 4 which goes to 1040 line 15.  The SE tax is in addition to your regular income tax on the net profit.  You do get to take off the 50% ER portion of the SE tax as an adjustment on 1040 Schedule 1 line 14 which flows to 1040 line 8a.  Turbo Tax automatically calculates the SE Tax and Adjustment.

Here is some IRS reading material……

IRS information on Self Employment

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Self-Employed-Individuals-Tax-Center

Pulication 334, Tax Guide for Small Business

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p334.pdf

Publication 535 Business Expenses

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p535.pdf

1040ES form

Turbo Tax will calculate the 1040ES estimated payments

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/can-turbotax-calculate-next-year-s-federal-estim...

You must make quarterly estimated tax payments for the current tax year if both of the following apply:

- 1. You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year, after subtracting your withholding and credits.

- 2. You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of:

90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or

100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return. (Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months).

How to make the Estimated payments

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-do-i-make-estimated-tax-payments/00/25875

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies