Re: Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent... - Page 12

Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent"

Sorry to hear that it’s affecting your whole family! What makes it more frustrating is that TurboTax has yet to even admit it was an error on their part. When I called they blamed me. 

Agreed desposito89! I just found out yesterday, August 18. I've been checking the irs.gov website daily since I was led to believe that it just hasn't processed and keep checking. I don't understand why Turbotax and/or IRS haven't informed us of this problem, or better yet, fixed it. 

@desposito89 wrote:

Updated TurboTax support FAQ does show there was a problem - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/spouse-claimed-as-a-dependent-box-checked-on-2019-...

So what happens if no payment was made due to glitch in TurboTax software? 

Thank You!

We have filed our taxes for many, many years and the last several years have been by using Turbotax. Not one of those times did we select that someone else could claim us (myself or spouse) as that would have been wrong. Yet, for some reason, it was checked, erroneously, in 2018 that my spouse could be claimed by someone else. However, it was me and our two children who didn't get anything but the hassle of being told to keep checking for the past 4 months. It was an obvious error, even according to the IRS rep, but there is "no process" for correcting it. Oh, but I can keep waiting and, if nothing else, deduct it when filing taxes in 2021. It's so frustrating. I do appreciate your information here.

TurboTax is taking forever. Just dragging their feet. Maybe we gotta call them all at once or create a petition. 

I don't know how many times I have to say it, contact the better business bureau.  You will be contacted by the intuits presidents office. 

You may want to reach out to the Taxpayer Advocate Service at https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/ if you haven't already. I still don't know what will happen for me, but at least they speak with you and let you know they are trying to help.

I do believe that had I not used Turbotax that I would not have had this issue with the box erroneously being checked that someone can claim my spouse. I think it was an IRS issue that we (me and my two children) didn't receive anything because of the box pertaining to spouse. I will say that I have paid to use Turbotax for many years. No more. I wish you all the best in getting your part without any more struggle, confusion, and frustration during this tremendously difficult time.

Thank you, I will try that. Good luck to you and your family!

@Kams1 I went through the taxpayer advocacy service too, but got no where; however, I truly believe that the response depends on the level of interest/commitment the rep has to helping you get your problem solved.  Maybe you will have better luck than I did.  

That's a bummer that it didn't help. I was told that just a couple of weeks ago that there wasn't anything that the advocacy service could do but that some issues are now allowed to be corrected. I contacted the main number as opposed to contacting the local office. I had to proceed through explaining the issue with two individuals who were not advocates, but the second one was able to arrange for the assistance from the advocate. The advocate is submitting documentation for review and, hopefully, a good resolution. It still makes no sense to me for anyone to have to go through this and to describe a hardship to get what was supposed to come to us all "expediently".  Best!!! 

After waiting on hold for 45 and talking to 3 different people at the taxpayer advocate service I was told they could do nothing!!  The first CSR I talked to,  looked into it and said she was going to give me a case number and forward me on to someone else since there was nothing specific stating that they couldn’t help me.  On hold another 20 minutes for the next CSR to tell me she couldn’t help me,  when I asked her why not?  Why can’t I at least get an answer as to why my husband and I essentially cancelled each other out even though we both clearly state on our returns that we cannot be claimed,  she says “who can claim your husband?”  I said nobody!!! She says wait a minute let me look at the notes in your case?? WTF, I mean wouldn’t you look at the notes from the other CSR as to why I was calling before telling me you can’t help me!  The long and short is that they are not aware of the issue I don’t think so maybe if more people report it,  they’d try to help!  Waiting until we file next kind of defeats the whole purpose of the emergency funding.

It makes no sense that this hasn't been resolved when it was clearly an error. Yes, I agree that reporting it, or continuing to report it, may eventually help. I was also on the phone for a long time and transferred to different individuals, and I still don't know the outcome. However, I felt that the individuals I spoke with were understanding and doing their part to help. I'm not sure what else to do if it doesn't have a good result but to wait and wonder why some people were allowed to be treated this way during this difficult time. 

we need to because this has caused so much trouble and stress for people wonder how we start that 

Forbes wrote an article on this situation and even linked to these forums. Hopefully this will help speed things up in getting this resolved this year.