Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

larry0910

How do I enter non-taxable military and va disability income for state sales tax deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

How do I enter non-taxable military and va disability income for state sales tax deduction?

Please follow the instructions below:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "Federal" from the left side of your screen
  3. Click on “Deduction and Credits” tab on the top
  4. Scroll down to “Estimates and Other Taxes Paid” and click "Show more" 
  5. Scroll down to “Sales Tax” and click "Start" 
  6. Select "Easy Guide"
  7. Continue through the questions until "Nontaxable Income" and answer "Yes"
  8. Enter your Nontaxable Income
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The answer indicates a "show more" button (step 4) and "start" buttons (step 5) that are not there

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

If you have already visited/started entering sales tax information, you would also find for step 4 a category "Sales Taxes"  and click "Revisit" and continue the interview until you arrive at the question "Nontaxable Income". 

If not you need to scroll down further to find the "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid" as stated above.  You may see a button "see more tax breaks" that would expand the menu as well.

I have populated my VA disability and non Taxable Military Income in the Non-Taxable income worksheet.  This amount is significant. There was no change from the initial amount that was originally calculated.  Is there a problem with the software for this calculation?

Thank You, 

Eugene Clark

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The calculation for a sales tax deduction, with non-taxable income included appears to be working in my mock return.  First, be sure when completing the sales tax interview that you select to use sales taxes versus the state and local income tax deduction.

Remember the sales tax deduction is an itemized deduction so if the standard deduction is selected as the better option for you, your refund or tax owed will not change when sales taxes paid are updated. 

You can verify which option is used on your return by clicking the "Deductions and Credits" tab and then "Wrap up tax breaks" at the bottom of the page.  Then "Continue" through any follow on pages to arrive at the choice between "Itemized" or Standard" deductions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies