turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bpswink

Military family relocated from NC to TX last July. Retail worker. When I added my W2 from the Texas job, it raised my NC taxes. How do I handle this?

I wouldn't think I would pay NC taxes on my Texas earning after moving away from NC.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Military family relocated from NC to TX last July. Retail worker. When I added my W2 from the Texas job, it raised my NC taxes. How do I handle this?

You need to enter the fact that you are a part year resident of each state. This is done at the beginning in the Personal Info section. You may have to manually apportion any other type of income between the two states.

Carl
Level 15

What state are you declaring to be your tax home? It can be the active duty military spouse's tax home, or your tax home if different.

The military member's tax home is clearly shown on their W-2 in box 15, and also on their LES in  box 44 as labeled at https://www.dfas.mil/Portals/98/Documents/Military%20Members/Payentitlements/aboutpay/Navy_reading_y...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies