turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm active military and my state of residence is Pennsylvania. It looks like I paid nothing to Pennsylvania State taxes. Does this mean I owe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm active military and my state of residence is Pennsylvania. It looks like I paid nothing to Pennsylvania State taxes. Does this mean I owe?

It depends. If you only had income from Active duty military service outside of PA then it is not taxable.

If you received it while active duty or not inside of PA, then it is generally taxable. 

See link below for more information to help you determine if your military income is taxable or not.

If your military income was not taxable, then you will need to walk through all of the PA questions, read and answer carefully.  You will come to a compensation summary where you will be able to check a box to tell TurboTax this income is not taxable.  

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/PIT/Documents/rev-612.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

It depends. If you only had income from Active duty military service outside of PA then it is not taxable.

If you received it while active duty or not inside of PA, then it is generally taxable. 

See link below for more information to help you determine if your military income is taxable or not.

If your military income was not taxable, then you will need to walk through all of the PA questions, read and answer carefully.  You will come to a compensation summary where you will be able to check a box to tell TurboTax this income is not taxable.  

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/PIT/Documents/rev-612.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Any interest , dividends, or capital gains are taxable on your PA resident return regardless of your military status.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies