turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stremebl

Active Duty Military stationed in VA but resident of PA, due I pay PA state Tax?

I am stationed in VA, but my home of residency is PA. Right now it says I owe to PA, but I thought since I made all of the income out of PA that I am not taxed. How do I make it show that?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Active Duty Military stationed in VA but resident of PA, due I pay PA state Tax?

Correct.  You do not owe PA tax on your military income.  You have to make the income non-taxable in PA.  To do this:

• On the Pennsylvania state return, look for the screen entitled Compensation Summary
  • Click Edit on the Military W2.
  • You'll see a screen entitled: Verify this Income.  Click on the Box Entire Amount...not Taxable in PA
  • Select Continue.

The income will be subtracted from Pennsylvania taxable income.

See the following screenshot:  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Correct.  You do not owe PA tax on your military income.  You have to make the income non-taxable in PA.  To do this:

• On the Pennsylvania state return, look for the screen entitled Compensation Summary
  • Click Edit on the Military W2.
  • You'll see a screen entitled: Verify this Income.  Click on the Box Entire Amount...not Taxable in PA
  • Select Continue.

The income will be subtracted from Pennsylvania taxable income.

See the following screenshot:  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you made interest on savings accounts you will owe them on that
TomD8
Level 15

But if you have other (non-military) income from Virginia sources, such as a part-time job, or a business or trade conducted in Virginia, you are subject to Virginia tax on this income.

Members of the armed forces who are not Virginia residents are not subject to Virginia income tax on their military pay, or on interest received from accounts held in Virginia banks.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hamathon

Permanent residence PA and stationed somewhere else. When going through turbo tax I can never find a quick link to say active duty military with state taxes. So it always runs up this huge number for taxes.. do I literally just don't file my state tax? Thanks for any help

TomD8
Level 15

@Hamathon -- If your only income was the nontaxable military income, and PA tax was not withheld from that income, you are not required to file a Pennsylvania tax return. https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/266/~/should-i-report-my-active-military-pay...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies