turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I was in the national guard, does that qualify as a "military veteran" on the new jersey state tax form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I was in the national guard, does that qualify as a "military veteran" on the new jersey state tax form?

Not unless you were called to federal active duty. To qualify for the NJ Veteran's Exemption, you must have served one of the branches of the US military or the National Guard of New Jersey in a federal active duty status.

For more information, follow this link:   NJ Veterans Exemption Qualifications

[edit 3/3/2018 2:45 and 3:22 PST]

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Not unless you were called to federal active duty. To qualify for the NJ Veteran's Exemption, you must have served one of the branches of the US military or the National Guard of New Jersey in a federal active duty status.

For more information, follow this link:   NJ Veterans Exemption Qualifications

[edit 3/3/2018 2:45 and 3:22 PST]

The exemption is available for all veterans who received honorable discharges or who were released under honorable circumstances from active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States, a reserve component thereof, or the National Guard of New Jersey in a federal active duty status

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2017/06/how_the_veterans_tax_exemption_works_biz_brain.html

I wish I knew about this in 2017 when it was introduced. Not sure it is worth the hassle to amend old returns, but at least I'll get the new doubled (6000) exemption.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies