turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

syien333

If I separated from military 05/20/2022 left the state 07/01/2022 and started working in the new state for the remainder of the year, where should I file my state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

If I separated from military 05/20/2022 left the state 07/01/2022 and started working in the new state for the remainder of the year, where should I file my state taxes?

You are going to be filing part-year returns assuming all the states involved have a state income tax.  If any of the states involved do not have a state income tax you don't have to file there.  Here is a list:

• Wyoming
  • Washington
  • Texas
  • Tennessee
  • South Dakota
  • Nevada
  • Florida
  • Alaska

First, in the "My info" section be sure to indicate you were in the military in 2022 and select that you departed the military in the follow on question.  

Next, you will indicate your resident state on 31 Dec and indicate that you lived in another state and select you military home of record state.  This will generate the part-year returns for those states.  

Finally, if you had income other than military income in the state you were stationed in, you need to scroll down to "Other State Income" and select that state.  This will generate a nonresident return for that state.    

In each of the state returns you will have the opportunity to allocate the income that belongs to that state.  For your state home of record that will be your military pay and any other income earned until you departed the military (5/20).  Some states do not tax your military pay if that is your home of record but you are stationed outside of that state.  Here is a link to check how your home of record state handles your military pay.  You may not have to file there.  

All of your income from 7/1 through 12/31 belongs to your new current resident state.  

Any nonmilitary income earned in the state you were stationed in belongs on the nonresident return.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies