Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm active duty military and I filled for NC last year because of bad tax advice but my home of residence is WA. so do i have to file in NC again or can i just file WA

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

I'm active duty military and I filled for NC last year because of bad tax advice but my home of residence is WA. so do i have to file in NC again or can i just file WA

It depends.  According to the NC Department of Revenue, "Under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, a member of the Armed Services who is a legal resident of another state stationed in North Carolina by virtue of military orders is not subject to North Carolina income tax on service pay but other income from employment, a business, or tangible property in North Carolina is subject to North Carolina income tax."

So assuming you are stationed in NC on military orders and your only income was military pay, then you do not have a filing requirement in NC. If for some reason NC taxes were withheld then you should file as non-resident in NC to get those withheld taxes refunded.  

Or if you had income from other sources within NC, then you file as non-resident and allocate only the NC source income to NC in the state interview as that is taxable to NC.  

WA does not have a state income tax so you do not have a state filing requirement there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

It depends.  According to the NC Department of Revenue, "Under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, a member of the Armed Services who is a legal resident of another state stationed in North Carolina by virtue of military orders is not subject to North Carolina income tax on service pay but other income from employment, a business, or tangible property in North Carolina is subject to North Carolina income tax."

So assuming you are stationed in NC on military orders and your only income was military pay, then you do not have a filing requirement in NC. If for some reason NC taxes were withheld then you should file as non-resident in NC to get those withheld taxes refunded.  

Or if you had income from other sources within NC, then you file as non-resident and allocate only the NC source income to NC in the state interview as that is taxable to NC.  

WA does not have a state income tax so you do not have a state filing requirement there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for you help

TomD8
Level 15

And if you paid NC taxes last year that you in fact did not owe, then you can file an amended 2022 NC tax return in order to get them refunded.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies