Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ablitzd

How to file taxes with a disability severance pay from the military?

I have the same exact question as marcydiaz.
ablitzd

Actually, after reading it again, it reads as if you only file your taxes by mail, with the supporting documents, if you are doing an amendment to already filed taxes.  So, If you went and filed your taxes already, but forgot to add in the Separation pay, you have up to three years to file an amendment to your already filed taxes.
ToddL

Paperwork (documentation) is needed whether you are 'fixing' it on your current year return, or amending a prior year return. You cannot attach supporting documents to an e-filed return - you have to print and file by mail, along with the supporting documents from the VA.
ablitzd

Thank you for the clarification TurboTaxToddL.

Just for some clarification this is saying if I got out in April and got my severance pay taxed then when I fill out my taxes I can get that taxed money back if my injury was service connected?
ToddL

Yes, if you received a VA Disability Rating.

If you did not meet the deadline in the above option, then you request the tax money back from the IRS. If you haven’t filed your tax return for the year in which you received the disability severance, you can make the correction on the current tax return. If you have already filed your tax return for the year in which you received the disability severance, you will have to file an amended return. You have three years from the date the original return was due (including extensions) or filed (if later than the due date) to amend your return. In both cases, you enter the correction in the same place.

My husband is in the same situation .   He got his severance pay taxed and did not  request it back from dfas.   He was given a template for what to write to the IRS to request it back.   Does putting in the full severance amount as a negative negate the need to do the letter? Will the full amount they should return be reflected in our tax return amount or will the IRS return additional money?   Thank you.
ablitzd

TurboTaxToddL, do I need a W2 reflecting the severance pay, in order to request the refund from the IRS?

ablitzd, for us the severance amount was reflected in that years W-2.  So for us he got out in 2017, he had regular income and the severance and the w-2 reflected it all in his earnings.

how do we fill out the 1040x that we have to mail back to the IRS?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies