turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cleoga7

Depreciation: I purchased flooring worth $2,500 for my rental house in 2004. Prior depreciation is $1,100 so far. Why does my expense amount come out as 0 for 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Depreciation: I purchased flooring worth $2,500 for my rental house in 2004. Prior depreciation is $1,100 so far. Why does my expense amount come out as 0 for 2017?

Great, I'm glad that correcting the depreciation category solved your problem.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

What recovery period did you use?
cleoga7

"Life" is listed as 27.50, which I assume means 27.5 years?  (My former tax accountant did the depreciation until this year.)

Yes, it means 27.5 years.

Did you enter it as a Residential Real Estate Improvement?  That would give 27.5 years.  If you entered it as some other category, it may have assigned the wrong number of years, and the program thinks it has been fully depreciated already.

Did you enter any "personal days" for the rental property?
cleoga7

Thanks very much.  I changed the category and it fixed the problem.  And no, I didn't enter any personal days because I didn't have any.  Thanks again.

Great, I'm glad that correcting the depreciation category solved your problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies