mlbengtson

Why won't the software accept that I have zero royalties to report?

I have rental income which I reported on Schedule E, line 3.  I do not have royalties so I reported 0 on Schedule E, line 4.  However, turbotax continues to insist I review this item ($0 royalties) and won't let me e-file.
Carl

Why are you bothering to enter "anything" for royalty income, if you have none? Just delete that from the SCH E and press on.

LenaH

If you are getting this error, it might be because a Schedule E was transferred over your prior year return. If you do not have any royalties for 2020, then you have to delete the form.

Please follow the instructions below to fix your error:

1. In TurboTax, search for rentals and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  2. Answer No to the question Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses in 2020 for property you own?
  3. Click on Tools.
  4. Click on Delete a Form
  5. Scroll down to your forms and look for Schedule E and click Delete
Carl

Scroll down to your forms and look for Schedule E and click Delete. 

DO NOT DO THIS! Otherwise, you will delete your rental property and all that depreciation history too. 

Work through the "Rental & Royalty Income (SCH E)" section of the program. When you get to the list of your rental and royalties, click the delete button (or trashcan icon) next to the royalty to delete it. That will leave your rental property information and history intact.

mlbengtson

I have never reported royalties, just rental income.  I did go in and delete the "0" from royalties in Schedule E.  However, when running the review it continues to prompt me to check that number, even though it is zero.  And it refuses to let me e-file although I continue to delete the "0".

mlbengtson

Thank you, but I do have rental income to report.  I have never reported royalties in the past and never had this problem crop up before. 

mlbengtson

Thank you for the suggestion, but I have already tried doing as you suggest to delete the royalty by clicking the trashcan.  It disappears, but then when I go into review mode before filing my return, the software continues to ask me to review that number which is shown as "0".  It won't allow me to e-file until I "fix" it.

Carl

After you delete it, you *MUST* continue working through the program until you get to a screen with a DONE button on it, and actually click that DONE button. Any changes *will* *not* be saved until you do that.