turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How and where do I report Cryptocurrency coin-to-coin trading on our tax report?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

How and where do I report Cryptocurrency coin-to-coin trading on our tax report?

Follow these steps in the Premier Edition:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search box, search for investment sales and then select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you sell any investments?  (If you land on the Here's the investment sales we have so far screen, select Add More Sales.)
  4. Continue following the onscreen instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale. Note: There isn't a specific section for digital currency, but if you answer the questions related to sales, we'll be able to do the proper calculation.

OR if the jump-to link is not working

1. Select the Federal tab
  2. Select Wages and Income 
  3. Select Investment Income
  4. You'll list each trade/sale in the Stocks, Mutual funds, Bonds, Other interview 
  5. When asked Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales? select No 
  6. When asked to Choose the type of investment you sold select Everything else
  7. Translate proceeds of each transfer into US dollars at the time of the transfer
  8. Repeat for each

Please see this FAQ with more details: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6468652

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

Follow these steps in the Premier Edition:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search box, search for investment sales and then select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you sell any investments?  (If you land on the Here's the investment sales we have so far screen, select Add More Sales.)
  4. Continue following the onscreen instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale. Note: There isn't a specific section for digital currency, but if you answer the questions related to sales, we'll be able to do the proper calculation.

OR if the jump-to link is not working

1. Select the Federal tab
  2. Select Wages and Income 
  3. Select Investment Income
  4. You'll list each trade/sale in the Stocks, Mutual funds, Bonds, Other interview 
  5. When asked Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales? select No 
  6. When asked to Choose the type of investment you sold select Everything else
  7. Translate proceeds of each transfer into US dollars at the time of the transfer
  8. Repeat for each

Please see this FAQ with more details: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6468652

How do you justify charging $20 more to enter these records when each transaction has to be done manually instead of through and API or import?
mcerad

I agree! There has to be an import option for Online Premier accounts!
martensw

This is not totally correct - concurrency is reported on form 8949 then on the Sch D. Every "sale" must be reported, even if you are exchange coin to coin (as in I bought BTC then exchange BTC to LTC, you have to report the gain or loss on the BTC). And. yes, follow the instructions above, but make sure to mail the 8949 in even if you file electronically.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies