turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RUSTY0630

How (where) do I report my SAG-AFTRA income received as earnings type "SAG-AFTRA Foreign Royalty"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

How (where) do I report my SAG-AFTRA income received as earnings type "SAG-AFTRA Foreign Royalty"?

This will be reported as "Other Income" on your return and eventually on Line 21 of your 1040.

SAG-AFTRA Foreign royalties are not residuals and are collected as a result of laws in other countries, which were adopted in the 1980s. Those laws provide for payments to artists in audiovisual works to compensate for private copying (home taping), cable retransmissions, video rentals and other uses of such works.

• Federal  >>
  • Wages & Income >>
  • Less Common Income >>
  • Miscellaneous Income >>
  • Other reportable income  You can enter your own description(s) and amount(s).

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section. 

View solution in original post

18 Replies
MichaelDC

How was the foreign royalty earnings reported to you?
RUSTY0630

Hi -- The only paper I have from Media Services is a check stub, attached to the check that I received in June, showing my $29 foreign royalty.  There were no deductions.
RUSTY0630

I emailed Media Services asking for a W-2, but have received no response.  I'm wondering if a W-2 is even appropriate for this kind of income.
RUSTY0630

I'm an actor, so this royalty is not for something like oil ... it's probably for a screening or broadcast of something that I was in years ago.  Thank you!
MichaelDC

Thanks for the info.
RUSTY0630

Thank YOU for your response to me.  I appreciate it.
MichaelDC

More than a pleasure. Let me know if you get lost.
RUSTY0630

When it comes to taxes, even with TurboTax, I sometimes do get lost.  But your recommendation is logical, and simple even.  Thank you so very much!
MichaelDC

Thanks! Good Luck or Break a leg, whichever is the appropriate term.
MichaelDC

This will be reported as "Other Income" on your return and eventually on Line 21 of your 1040.

SAG-AFTRA Foreign royalties are not residuals and are collected as a result of laws in other countries, which were adopted in the 1980s. Those laws provide for payments to artists in audiovisual works to compensate for private copying (home taping), cable retransmissions, video rentals and other uses of such works.

• Federal  >>
  • Wages & Income >>
  • Less Common Income >>
  • Miscellaneous Income >>
  • Other reportable income  You can enter your own description(s) and amount(s).

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section. 

I'm pretty sure I understand your answer to do this for my foreign royalties: I was confused because the first three quarters of this year like the past five years for the royalties from this project I was receiving a W-2 for it (incl. Receiving a W-2 for the first three quarters of 2020 from WB), but strangely, it was only foreign royalties for the fourth quarter of 2020 which were then taken over for the fourth quarter by Media Services instead of WB... the fourth quarter happened to only be foreign royalties so is this the reason that is the first time of my working as a professional actor under Union contracts in the USA that I didn't receive a W-2? All other television networks, movies, Etc., have always sent me a W-2 and all the work we do under Screen Actors Guild contracts come under W-2 as all those producers are included as part of our being employees and not independent workers!?

Is this case solely because it is foreign royalties?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@CallMeCooper Many types of income are reported as 'Other Income' if not reported on a W-2 or 1099 form. 

Click this link for more info on Foreign Royalty Income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Strange... My question was the reason I've NEVER before received this as a 1099 because it was SOLELY Foreign Royalties?!  There have always been foreign income from Royalties/Residuals, but MAYBE since there was previously BOTH, then WB combined it all, no matter what they taxed or didn't tax.

I understand how to report this but this way it becomes Schedule C income when the work was under an employer and only the payroll company changed.  This way, it becomes Self-Employment income and will confuse those who gauge my income as Self-Employment for a negligible & random $18 for One Quarter, after 6 years on one TV Episode, foreign royalty.

BINGO - Bango - BONGO - Double Thumbs UP!!!

MichaelDC, When it comes to Employee Income from SAG,

you win the prize cuz it is NOT Self-Employment income.

You actually read the question and answered where it

causes the least harm or paperwork!!!

Thanks

Coop

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies