Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

OcarinaofTime
Returning Member

How (where) do I report my SAG-AFTRA income received as earnings type "SAG-AFTRA Foreign Royalty"?

Okay, but help.

My wage and income records show that for 2020, I received a 1099-Misc for Foreign Royalties.

So, I'm reporting these foreign royalties as being from 1099-Misc.

I didn't pay any taxes on this money.

Turbo Tax keeps asking me if all/none/any of this work took place in the united states.

All of the filming took place in the US, but these are foreign royalties, so how am I supposed to answer?

How (where) do I report my SAG-AFTRA income received as earnings type "SAG-AFTRA Foreign Royalty"?

It's very easy... NONE because none of it was shot outside of the US. But you did receive a 1099 so you have to report it as 1099 income and will have to do a Schedule C as it is then self-employment income.

Or if you have no other self-employment income, you could follow the winning answer by DC Michael on the previous page and escape all the other work, since that is where you report foreign royalties in "other income". 

Since this was listed as the Best Answer in this thread, I'm replying both to add information that I hope will clarify the problem and to ask if anyone has a more thorough answer that takes this new information into consideration.

The work that generates these foreign royalties is originally paid as wages and reported on a W-2, as actors are considered employees of the production company for the purpose of the project. Domestic residuals are also paid as wages and reported on form W-2.

As explained on SAG-AFTRA's website, foreign royalties are not residuals.  When I receive them, they're usually paid by a different payroll company than the one that sends my residuals for the same production.  Taxes are never withheld from these payments. In any given tax year, the payroll company that handles my foreign royalties will sometimes issue a 1099-MISC and sometimes will not issue any tax form at all. If they issue a 1099, the amount earned will be listed in Box 2: Royalties.

If I don't receive a tax form, the simplest solution seems to be to claim it as Other Income. If I receive a 1099-MISC, however, then there's a dilemma. It's not truly self-employment income because I earned it for work performed as an employee, so Schedule C doesn't seem appropriate. How else can it be claimed, though, if it has been reported on a 1099-MISC?

Supposing I do let TurboTax create a Schedule C for this income, then it asks me, "Is this Qualified Business Income?" In order to be considered QBI, it must meet two requirements:

• The business is operated in the United States — It's not really a business, so this is already a difficult question to answer, but since the work was performed in the United States, let's go with "Yes."
  • The income is not treated as wages by the IRS — This one is much trickier. Whether pay is considered wages seems to depend mostly on the worker's relationship to the employer over the past three years. Since an actor performs work for a very short period but continues to receive payments for that work for potentially years, has the working relationship changed after three years or not? If all the other payments for the same work were initially considered wages and are still considered wages when paid in the form of domestic residuals, are the royalty payments substantially different just because they're not considered residuals? Would the IRS consider them wages or not?

This issue has existed for so long that someone in the entertainment industry should really have figured this out by now and made the information widely available to actors. Hopefully, a tax expert here can provide a detailed and reliable solution for actors that receive foreign royalty payments, both with and without a form 1099-MISC.

If it really bothers you, contact Media Services, do not mention that you should have gotten a W-2 as they are foreign royalties and will come on a 1099-Misc. Once you have that form then follow your supposition to report it as 1099 income and do a Schedule C since you didn't want to take on the advice multiple experts have weighed in during this conversation over 4 to 5 years!

Otherwise, legally you can actually do a or b. Consider that you don't have any other self-employment income, why would you go through the whole schedule C, BS, unless you have other significant foreign royalty income where you want to take business deductions, especially since the Trump tax changes stopped actors from being able to use deductions with their W-2 income!

As long as you legally report it, you can do either way as I described above and linked to the previous person's answer. I've been doing actor taxes since I returned to the US in 2001 & I use TurboTax premier. Even they have me down as zero red flags and, it's all legal.

I've been looking in on this question & answers in different locations on the web for years. There is no other answer that anyone else's given. Period. Stop. The End, Yay! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies