turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In Schedule E, Deluxe assumes that my rentals are real estate and thus limits how much loss I can deduct. But I rent machines. How can I adjust the business type?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

In Schedule E, Deluxe assumes that my rentals are real estate and thus limits how much loss I can deduct. But I rent machines. How can I adjust the business type?

You must use Schedule C.

Personal Property Rentals

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If you have a business for machine rentals then you should be completing a Schedule C for your business, not a Schedule E for rental properties and royalties.
Delete the Schedule E and then start entering your business income and expenses on Schedule C.  In the Wages and Income section scroll down to Business Items and choose Business Income and Expenses (Sch C).

Thank you for responding to my question so promptly.
I am puzzled, however, because my CPA advised me to use Schedule E rather than C.  He says his software provides a choice in Schedule E between real estate versus other types of rented property.
If I cannot resolve this issue in TurboTax, I will be hiring my tax preparation by him.

As stated by the IRS on the IRS website for a Schedule E - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-schedule-e-form-1040">https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-sche...>
"Use this Schedule E (Form 1040) to report income or loss from rental real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporations, estates, trusts, and residual interests in REMICs."

Thank you for the reference.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You must use Schedule C.

Personal Property Rentals

Thank you, Coleen, for providing this helpful reference.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies