Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I own a rental property in California and live in Oregon. The rental management company withheld $1500 for CA tax. Why am I getting all of it back from California?

I own a rental property in California and live in Oregon. The rental management company withheld $1500 for California tax. When I finished filling out both states it says i have a +$1500 return in California. 

Does anyone know if this is correct and why this happened?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I own a rental property in California and live in Oregon. The rental management company withheld $1500 for CA tax. Why am I getting all of it back from California?

What was your net income from the CA rental property?

"Taxable income" shows as $15.5k in the software

Could it be that this amount of income isn't taxable?

(or)

Could it be because Oregon and California have a reciprocal agreement for income tax? i.e. so Oregon taxes me on that amount instead of California?

No one can see your tax return and answer your question precisely. In general, as a California nonresident, you're taxed only on your California source of income. If your income is less than standard deduction and exemption, you do not have to pay taxes and will receive your withholding back. 

For additional information, please, follow the link https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/2017-tax-reform-legislation-what-you-should-know...

What are the California Standard Deductions? https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/faq/net/902.shtml

Could it be because Oregon and California have a reciprocal agreement for income tax? i.e. so Oregon taxes me on that amount instead of California?

They do not have a reciprocal agreement.  Did you fill out your CA non-resident taxes first?  What is your total AGI, including the rental?

Since you have the PC product, go into Forms mode, and check your CA return carefully.  Make sure the rental income is properly allocated to CA on Schedule CA (540NR) in column E.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies