turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bijukchhe

Nonresident of tn own rental property. should I file the tn return?

No
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnR1

Tennessee does not impose an income tax, except for a so-called "Hall" income tax on interest and dividends:

You only need to file a return for the Tennessee Hall tax on interest and dividends, at a rate of 5%, if you are a person whose legal domicile is in Tennessee, and whose taxable interest and dividend income exceeded $1,250 ($2,500 if married filing jointly) during the tax year.

For more information, please see the following guidance from the Tennessee Department of Revenue on the Hall tax for the 2016 tax year, below:

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/indincguide.pdf 

If you have started a Tennesee return but do not need to file it, you can delete a state return in TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version).

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?":

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JohnR1

Tennessee does not impose an income tax, except for a so-called "Hall" income tax on interest and dividends:

You only need to file a return for the Tennessee Hall tax on interest and dividends, at a rate of 5%, if you are a person whose legal domicile is in Tennessee, and whose taxable interest and dividend income exceeded $1,250 ($2,500 if married filing jointly) during the tax year.

For more information, please see the following guidance from the Tennessee Department of Revenue on the Hall tax for the 2016 tax year, below:

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/indincguide.pdf 

If you have started a Tennesee return but do not need to file it, you can delete a state return in TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version).

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?":

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

chadnewb

This still didn't really answer the question. If a non-resident owns rental property in Tennessee, do they file taxes? and if so what kind of taxes?

Carl
Level 15

If a non-resident owns rental property in Tennessee, do they file taxes?

Define what you mean. Are you a U.S. Citizen or legal resident alien who is resident of another state? Or are you a non-resident in the U.S.? If the latter and a citizen of another country, then you can't use TurboTax for this at all as a non-resident of the U.S. is required to file IRS Form 1040-NR. TurboTax does not provide or support that.

If the former, then you have no state tax filing requirement for TN as far as "this" rental is concerned.

Read the rest of this thread ... TN doesn't have an INCOME tax so you will not file an INCOME tax return which is what the Turbotax program does ... however there may be other items you need to file/pay. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies