turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxation of interest on CCRC entry-fee refund

My mother lived and passed away in a good CCRC. Her contract with them provided a 90% return of her entry fee once the unit she occupied was re-occupied. California, meanwhile, recently established a rule requiring interest payments on the CCRC entry fee if it was not paid back within a few months.

After my mother died, payment of the entry fee refund was delayed because of the pandemic; it took a long time before they could market and re-fill her unit. As a result, when I got her fee refund, there was a also a substantial interest payment, as well. I asked the CCRC's financial staff to provide me a 1099-I for this interest, but they said they had not been issuing 1099s on this interest.

I am assuming this interest should be taxable, since it doesn't fit into any exempt category. But I can't find any discussion of the issue online, anywhere: the interest earned on late refunds is not on anyone's radar.

I guess I can create a manual 1099-I in TurboTax for 2021,. The IRS does not mind us reporting more income than they know about instead of less, as far as I know 🙂

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
M-MTax
Level 10

Not necessary to create any form.....report the interest as interest in the TT program.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
M-MTax
Level 10

Not necessary to create any form.....report the interest as interest in the TT program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies