turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I report my foreign apartment, even if I'm only renting it as "not for profit"?

I am permanent resident and I own an apartment abroad. I rent it as "not for profit", thus I tax it as other income. I just put the total income on Schedule 1, in "8 Other income." to be exact. But I just write "Not for Profit Rental - $2,000". That's it, there is no more information about the apartment.

My question is: Should I file any other form that would tell IRS, that there is an apartment that I own?

I'm asking, because I owned the apartment before I became US resident (before I even came to the US), so IRS doesn't know about the fact that I own this apartment at all. I'm not sure if it's important or not, but I just wanted to verify.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Should I report my foreign apartment, even if I'm only renting it as "not for profit"?

There are no IRS reports you must file on the ownership of the apartment unless it is part of a trust or other investment account (specified foreign financial asset)- so the way you are reporting is correct.

Per IRS, a specified foreign financial asset is:

• Any financial account maintained by a foreign financial institution, except as indicated above 
  • Other foreign financial assets held for investment that are not in an account maintained by a US or foreign financial institution, namely:
    • Stock or securities issued by someone other than a U.S. person
    • Any interest in a foreign entity, and 
    • Any financial instrument or contract that has as an issuer or counterparty that is other than a U.S. person.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

There are no IRS reports you must file on the ownership of the apartment unless it is part of a trust or other investment account (specified foreign financial asset)- so the way you are reporting is correct.

Per IRS, a specified foreign financial asset is:

• Any financial account maintained by a foreign financial institution, except as indicated above 
  • Other foreign financial assets held for investment that are not in an account maintained by a US or foreign financial institution, namely:
    • Stock or securities issued by someone other than a U.S. person
    • Any interest in a foreign entity, and 
    • Any financial instrument or contract that has as an issuer or counterparty that is other than a U.S. person.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies