turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

doug65
Returning Member

Schedule E 1099 checkboxes

Hello, my property manager had a contractor who did some cleaning job on my rental property who charged slightly over $600, so I checked Box A and B on Schedule E and filed my tax.

A. Did you make any payments in 2020 that would require you to file Form(s) 1099?

B. If “Yes,” did you or will you file required Form(s) 1099?

However, I later learned that it's usually the PMs who send these forms (because I paid the PM and the PM paid the contractor, and the invoice also billed to the PM). Should I amend my form to put No on A and clear B? Or it doesn't really matter since the 1099 forms were/will be filed, just not by me?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

You are correct that if any 1099's are required, the property manager will issue them. After all, that's what you pay the PM for.

There is no need for you to amend, correct or change anything on your tax return for this. The only time you amend, is if there will be a change in your tax liability. Changing a yes to a no does not change your tax liability at all.

doug65
Returning Member

Thanks, Carl! That made me feel much better. So IRS won't later come back to me and say: you mentioned you had 1099 to file but your TIN hadn't filed any?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies