turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K1 Box 20Z has been entered but shows error at review

Entered all numbers but errors found during final review. Error message:

"Box 20 Code Z has been selected but no Section 199A income has been entered on Statement A."

I tried opening the form and found Statement A but where do I need to enter this number? I tried to ignor the error but I was not able to efile (already paid) before I fix this.

I have been filing K1 for years but this has never happened before. Please help!!! Thank you!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

For 2019 tax returns prepared in TurboTax, enter the code Z when you enter the K-1 box 20 screen, but you don't need to enter an amount on that screen Continue on, and you'll eventually find the screen  "We need some more information about your 199A income or loss".  When you check the box next to a category on that screen, a place will open up to enter the amounts from the Statement or STMT that came with your K-1.  The applicable category (or categories) on this screen (and the following "Let's check for some uncommon adjustments" screen, if applicable) must be completed in order for your K-1 QBI information to be correctly input into TurboTax. 

To get back to the K-1 summary screen and find the Schedule K-1 to edit, click the "magnifying glass Search" icon on the top row, enter "k-1" in the search window and press return or enter, and then click on the "Jump to k-1" link to find the K-1 you need to edit.

Here are screenshots of the "We need some information about your 199A income or loss" and "Let's check for some uncommon adjustments" screens where you enter the information from your K-1 Section 199A Statement/STMT:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

For 2019 tax returns prepared in TurboTax, enter the code Z when you enter the K-1 box 20 screen, but you don't need to enter an amount on that screen Continue on, and you'll eventually find the screen  "We need some more information about your 199A income or loss".  When you check the box next to a category on that screen, a place will open up to enter the amounts from the Statement or STMT that came with your K-1.  The applicable category (or categories) on this screen (and the following "Let's check for some uncommon adjustments" screen, if applicable) must be completed in order for your K-1 QBI information to be correctly input into TurboTax. 

To get back to the K-1 summary screen and find the Schedule K-1 to edit, click the "magnifying glass Search" icon on the top row, enter "k-1" in the search window and press return or enter, and then click on the "Jump to k-1" link to find the K-1 you need to edit.

Here are screenshots of the "We need some information about your 199A income or loss" and "Let's check for some uncommon adjustments" screens where you enter the information from your K-1 Section 199A Statement/STMT:

Thank you! However, when you told me "enter the code Z when you enter the K-1 box 20 screen, but you don't need to enter an amount on that screen", actually it should be put "do not enter an amount on that screen". I have already entered 4 Schedule K-1 in TurboTax. Deleting the amount I have entered in Box 20Z did not take me to this screen "We need some more information about your 199A income or loss". I had to delete all 4 K-1 and manually entered them again. That counts as a flaw in the software this year as I did not have problems with previous years. Bottom line is there was no errors found and I efiled both Federal and State taxes successfully. Thanks for your help, David!

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Glad you were able to complete your tax return.

Just to clarify for others who are working on the same issue, it is not the entry or lack of entry of an amount on that box 20 screen that takes you to the "We need some more information about your 199A income or loss" screen.  Either way (entry or no entry) will work.  But, you must Continue through the K-1 interview to get the screen to enter your Section 199A amounts.  Your next screen should be "Describe the Partnership" and the the next screen should be "We see you have Section 199A income" and then you should get "We need some information about your 199A income", followed by "Let's check for some uncommon adjustments". 

5218mb

Same issue for two days. I have talked with two licensed accountants, made a Turbo Tax call and spoke with two people then was put through to a recording asking me to upgrade. 
I can’t believe that TurbobTax would just leave people hanging and not be upfront with repeat clients. If they want to make changes, fine, but for those of us who take the time to file with them, we should have updated info. 
I don’t know what I’ll do from here, but I am so very frustrated. 
And another $49 to file Fed and State together!

5218mb

I will try this tomorrow!  Makes sense to me and I omitted the section about uncommon questions. Thank you for posting this info!

5218mb

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

To clarify, did you follow the procedure give by DavidS127 in his post in this thread?

@5218mb

Manage cookies