turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have ~150,000 stock transactions to report this year - would the IRS accept a CD or thumb drive vice the paper printout of my 1099-B stock transactions?

As a daytrader, I have hundreds of thousands of transactions this year to report on my Schedule D/Form 8949.  I plan to report the summary data on Form 8949, and attach the 1099B from my broker to show the individual stock sales.  However, this is thousands of pages long.  Could I just send an electronic copy to the IRS?   Perhaps via a thumb drive or CD?  Printing thousands of pages is so cumbersome not to mention wasteful.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have ~150,000 stock transactions to report this year - would the IRS accept a CD or thumb drive vice the paper printout of my 1099-B stock transactions?

in answer to your question. No.  I will point out that any sales coded A or D (sales and cost basis reported to IRS) without a wash sale can be reported as a single item - no details need to be provided to the IRS. for sales coded A or D with wash sale or B,C,E,F need to be detailed.  

also, if the total sales amount or total cost is too high TT won't be able to handle even single line reporting.   you would need the services of a pro 

A professional program can attach a PDF to the return of the pages of non covered sales that the IRS requires. The TT program has a limitation ... it cannot process amounts higher than $9,999,999.99 so if your total sales exceeds $10 million you cannot use the TT program at all.  Seek local professional assistance instead. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies