Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to calculate fair rental use days if tenant pays some months rent late in following year

Hi - I have a rental property that was rented out for the fully year of 2019. However, there were 3 months that my tenant paid rent late in the following year in 2020 so I won't report those 3 months rental income until I file 2020 returns next year. However for calculating the fair rental use days would I still use 365 days since my tenant was living in this unit for the full 2019 but a few months rent was paid late in 2020?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

How to calculate fair rental use days if tenant pays some months rent late in following year

When the rent was paid is completely irrelevant. The property was rented "the whole year". Every single day of it. Period. End of story. Even if the renter stopped paying rent in say, Oct of 2019 and you ended up evicting them in say Jan of 2020, it does not change the fact the property was rented the entire year. The only "fact" that changes is the amount of rental income actually received in 2019, and that's it.

Thank you so much! Very helpful! So, then I would put 365 days in the "fair rental days" section? Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies