Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter Employee Stocks sold with no 1099B form?

Option to enter employee stocks with no 1099B form
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Enter it the same way you would if you had a 1099-B.   When you start the investment sale (1099-B) interview, you will be asked ''Did you receive a 1099-B for this sale''.   Say No.  You will then be prompted to enter all of the pertinent information regarding the sale.    This includes:

• A brief description of the item sold, such as “100 shares of XYZ Co"
  • The date you bought or acquired it
  • The date you sold it
  • How much it cost you to acquire it - cost basis
  • How much you received for it when you sold it - proceeds
  • Whether your broker withheld any federal tax

The 1099-B helps you deal with capital gains taxes. Usually, when you sell something for more than it cost you to acquire it, the profit is a capital gain, and it may be taxable. On the other hand, if you sell something for less than you paid for it, then you may have a capital loss, which you might be able to use to reduce your taxable capital gains or other income.

• You pay capital gains taxes with your income tax return, using Schedule D.
  • The data from Form 1099-B helps you fill out Schedule D and Form 8949 if needed.

Where do I enter a 1099-B?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement for these sales? 

This never gets asked in the flow.

This article isn't helpful at all. This is a new issue for tax year 2020. This is extremely bad user experience. Not to mention frustrating.

Like @Anonymous pointed out it does Not ask you whether you received 1099-B or not so this article from an expert is completely useless.

I understand that the tax laws have changed for 2020 (see link below) but the UI is very confusing to not only its users but Customer agents as well. I was on a call with someone who couldn't figure it out for 45 mins or so. She sent me a link that *will surely solve the problem* but did not. I feel like Turbotax is letting its customer be the QA. I don't think this part of the UI was ever tested. 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/guide-to-schedule-d-capital-gains-and-losses/L1bKWgPea

Anyway here's the workaround:

When you add a Bank or brokerage make sure you enter fewer sales 1-4..this way it will allow you to enter every sales record manually. 

For every sales record you have to select one of the 6 (or more) values for the required field Sales section. For @jrider4562 it could be Short Term did not receive 1099-B or Long Term did not receive 1099-B. Fill in other details like description of sales, proceeds, cost basis and the transaction dates and then save the record.

A small test you can do after you have saved a sales record is to go back to the record and check the code assigned to the Sales section. Refer to the Specific instructions section here https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8949 to see if the right code has been assigned or not.

Hal_Al
Level 15

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab (Personal in  Home & Business)

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

-Investment Income

-Stocks, mutual funds, Bonds, Other 

Follow the interview

This answer is useless to me because the wizard doesn't ask me 'Did you receive a 1099-B for this sale''

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab (Personal in  Home & Business)

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

-Investment Income

-Stocks, mutual funds, Bonds, Other 

Follow the interview screens ... enter the sale as  if you did get a 1099-B ...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies