turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can Turbo Tax help me with including on my 2020 tax return rental income and expenses on my home I will rent part time this year? Can it walk me through that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Can Turbo Tax help me with including on my 2020 tax return rental income and expenses on my home I will rent part time this year? Can it walk me through that?

Yes. When you set up your rental (next year in the 2020 program) you will enter that it is a vacation home. Keep track this year of how many days you live there and how many days it is rented out. Your expenses will have to be prorated.

Colleen -  Thank you - that is great.  In doing a little research it looks like I will keep track of my mortgage interest, taxes, insurance and other expenses and prorate all for the number of days I rent it out as you mentioned.  I guess Turbo Tax can handle all of that for me?  

I want to put in new flooring, paint, etc. - my research seems to indicate these would be improvements that I would need to depreciate over time.  Could Turbo Tax also  help me with that?   

Thanks so much for your quick and great first response!

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, all of those are doable in the TurboTax Premier program. If you finish your improvements before you begin to rent, you can include them in the basis of the home and depreciate them all in one asset entry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies