turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can short term capital gains from sale of stocks acquired through exercise of non qualified stock options given by employer, be offset by capital loss carryovers?

I have $100,000 in capital loss carryovers from previous years. I also have stocks that I acquired after exercising  non qualified stock options granted to me by my employer before it became public. I have owned the stocks for over 7 months now and the company is public. If I sell these stocks now, I will generate short term capital gains. Can my capital loss carryovers offset the above capital gains?
In other words, are short term capital gains from selling stocks acquired from exercising stock options treated the same way as short term capital gains from selling any other stock in a brokerage account? I held the stocks after paying cash for the exercise and the initial taxes and did not do a cashless exercise
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can short term capital gains from sale of stocks acquired through exercise of non qualified stock options given by employer, be offset by capital loss carryovers?

ALL cap gains and losses from all sources  are netted against each other automatically on the Sch D ... the program will do this automatically and any unused losses are carried forward.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Yes you can use your carryover capital losses to offset any other form of capital gain.

When you have a net long-term capital loss, you can use it to offset a net short-term capital gain by subtracting the loss from the gain.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your response. By "net long term capital loss", are you referring to capital loss carry forwards? I am specifically referring to those- ie short term capital losses from previous years that have rolled over to the current year.

Thanks again

ALL cap gains and losses from all sources  are netted against each other automatically on the Sch D ... the program will do this automatically and any unused losses are carried forward.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies