turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rjm21

Can I claim hotels as rent? I stayed in hotels for a large portion of 2020 with no personal residence.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Can I claim hotels as rent? I stayed in hotels for a large portion of 2020 with no personal residence.

Rent paid as a renter is not deductible on a tax return.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There is no deduction for rent on a federal tax return. If you are asking about a renter's credit or deduction on a state tax return, you would have to check the rules for the particular state that you lived in. Every state has different rules.

Carl
Level 15

Most hotel rooms won't qualify as a residence for the renter's credit, since the room does not have it's own separate bathing *and* cooking facilities. Without a kitchen, such a claim probably won't cut it.

M-MTax
Level 10

Most hotel rooms won't qualify as a residence for the renter's credit, since the room does not have it's own separate bathing *and* cooking facilities

That's part of the IRS definition for "dwelling unit" and probably doesn't apply to a state's credit for rent. In MA for example you can possibly get a credit for rent paid to a hotel, motel, or rooming house as long as some sort of agreement exists that creates a landlord-tenant relationship.

There is no deduction for "Rent" on a federal tax return.

Some states have a renter's credit.  I would expect that hotel costs would not qualify as rent for a state renter's credit, but you would have to research the rules of the specific state and specific credit.

Hotel costs can sometimes be business expenses if you are required to travel for business and you are self-employed or an independent contract.  The rules are covered in chapter 1 of publication 463.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

Very basically, you can deduct business costs of travel away from your "tax home".  The travel must be an ordinary and necessary expense of earning money for your business.  Your tax home is the general geographic area (city, etc.) where you earn most of your money.  If you have no permanent residence, you might still have a tax home.  But if you don't have a tax home, you can't deduct any travel expenses as a business expense because you are never traveling "away from your tax home" if you don't have a tax home. 

M-MTax
Level 10

I would expect that hotel costs would not qualify as rent for a state renter's credit

As written in my other post if a landlord-tenant relationship exists at least MA allows a renter's credit. It doesn't matter whether it's a hotel, motel, apartment building or whatever.

@M-MTax wrote:

I would expect that hotel costs would not qualify as rent for a state renter's credit

As written in my other post if a landlord-tenant relationship exists at least MA allows a renter's credit. It doesn't matter whether it's a hotel, motel, apartment building or whatever.

But what is required to establish a landlord-tenant relationship in the context of a hotel?  I expect the rules are different if we are talking about a week's stay at Disneyworld vs. a 3 month stay at a "residential hotel" in the Bowery.

Also, regarding any state rental credits, I assume that even if there is a landlord-tenant relationship, the landlord or property must be in-state?  A Minnesota taxpayer could not use the rental credit on a hotel in Florida, could they? Even if it met the landlord-tenant relationship test.  

M-MTax
Level 10

But what is required to establish a landlord-tenant relationship in the context of a hotel?

It has to be a conscious agreement by the parties to establish a landlord-tenant relationship instead of an innkeeper-guest relationship and innkeeper-guest would be the default.

I assume that even if there is a landlord-tenant relationship, the landlord or property must be in-state

I'd say that's right because the credit has to be based on something that benefits the state or counties in the state in some way and in this context the tenant is helping to pay the real estate taxes that are imposed on the landlord.

Korten2

When I lived in Indiana I stayed (lived) in a hotel for 9 months. I called several tax preparers at different places they all said yes you can claim it as a credit on state tax return. Just to be absolutely sure though, I checked with my local Department of Revenue, DOR, they said YES, up to the amount allowed. If it's possible for you go in person it's a lot quicker than waiting on the phone. Just a side note, the federal return does not allow a deduction for rent.

Korten2

Some state tax returns do allow a renters deduction. A person just has to search or call their local Department of revenue. This is for Indiana.

You may be able to deduct up to $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately) of the rent paid on your Indiana home. You may be able to take this deduction if: You paid rent on your principal place of residence, and. The place you rented was subject to Indiana property tax.
https://www.in.gov › filing-my-taxes
ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

Most of the time you have to list information regarding the landlord, which would be hard to do if you are staying in a motel.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies