turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fred bob
Returning Member

Possible Bug - For ESPP, capital gains/losses not being adjusted according to the 1099-B supplemental information entered.

I am using TT Premier 2020 DVD on Windows 10 updated to the 01/26/2021 level.

When I enter my ESPP and RS sales, the calculated gains and losses are overall gross values only and not the net values expected that take into consideration the adjusted cost basis provided from the 1099-B supplemental information I entered.  

Has anyone else had trouble with getting this to work correctly with ESPP and/or RSU? Worked more or less okay in TT 2019.  I suspect that Form 8949 and Schedule D are not finished, but hope I am mistaken.

- Fred

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
lmodahala
Returning Member

Possible Bug - For ESPP, capital gains/losses not being adjusted according to the 1099-B supplemental information entered.

You are not alone.

Looks like there is a bug. I see similar and odd issues with TT premier 2020

fred bob
Returning Member

I re-entered my ESPP and RU information and confirmed that the Form 8949 worksheets fail to make the expected necessary adjustments to gains/losses.  Please address this ASAP.

I'm seeing the same bug - ESPP stock sales are not computing correctly, in fact - TT is showing $0 proceeds from these transactions, and $0 cost basis. 

Intuit needs to fix this ASAP. 

fred bob
Returning Member

I had to monkey with the checkboxes in the worksheets to make the numbers match my supplemental 1099-B. Not the usual level of quality I have come to expect.

TOzzello

I have an issue where my ESPP sale got broken into two pieces and when I enter the information for the first piece TT gets it right, but when I go to the 'walk me through' the second part, it defaults to the first part and ends up with a basis of zero dollars for the first part and there's no way to fix the second part. When I try to fix the second part by manually entering the numbers, it doesn't seem to subract the compensation income properly. Looking for some guidance.

Yes, I am having the same problem.  Trying to Edit 2nd, 3rd, 4th+ line ESPP entries, you get to where you enter basic info, then next screen for "less common items on 1099-B", then you say "Yes, this is stock that was acquired through an employee stock plan", then on the next screen you select ESPP, then you get to "Tell us about your ESPP sale", then you say "Walk me through adding more info" and THEN THE PROGRAM JUMPS TO THE DATA FROM THE 1st SALE (not 2nd, 3rd, 4th+ sales).  This is a BUG.  If anyone has suggestions for how to work around this, please let me know.  Thank you!

Team, I finally figured out to ditch all of the individually downloaded ESPP transactions from my brokerage, and simply enter 1 TOTAL transaction (all total ESPP shares for the year).  Inside of the step-by-step for this 1 transaction you will find a screen where you can enter individual "Lots" of ESPP sales, and use step-by-step for each Lot.  This worked fine and I entered each individual transaction as a different lot.  For some reason, TT has only allowed 1 table entry for all ESPP transactions.

By the way, it was pointed out to me in another thread that my workaround only worked for my unique situation: in my case I only had 1 sale date for the year, and sold multiple tranches of ESPP shares previously purchased in years past on a single day at the same selling price.  For date acquired, I used the "Various" date and was able to enter all of the requisite info.  I agree that this would not work with multiple sales in the year, and then you should probably use the trick I found in another thread of entering each transaction using a different brokerage name ("Charles Schwab1, Charles Schwab2, etc.") which also seems to get around the bug because TT creates a single entry table for ESPP for each "different" brokerage.  Anyway, I hope some of these ideas save someone the hours I spent banging my head on my keyboard!  🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies