oldradio99

Pacific Gas and Electric deferred dividends paid

PGE deferred paying any dividends for 5 years.  In 2022 they paid all dividends that were due from prior years.

Do I have to report all that income as dividend income in 2022 or is there a way to mitigate the tax I may owe?

PGE indicated talking to tax advisor on how to manage.

TIA

Mike9241

only preferred stock got the dividend because it was issued as cumulative preferred which means that any unpaid dividends must be paid to the preferred stock holders before any dividends are paid to common stock holders. there is still time left n 2022, so the company could pay a common stock dividend once it satisfies the dividend arrearage on the cumulative preferred. 

Mike9241

as a cash basis taxpayer, they're taxable in the year received. but wait for the 1099. it is possible that a portion may be treated as a return of capital and not be taxable but instead reduce your tax basis in the stock if you still hold it. 

I have PGE stock.  Does that mean I will be getting a dividend this year?  Last one I entered in my Quicken was in 2017.  

UPDATE:  Looks like just Preferred stock got the dividend.  I have common stock.  

Mike9241

oldradio99

correct.  I had preferred stock so will just have to wait for the 1099