turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the entire house payment for my rental property? Or am I limited to just the mortgage interest and property taxes?

Put another way, does Rental Income = Rent - Mortgage Payment?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

Can I deduct the entire house payment for my rental property? Or am I limited to just the mortgage interest and property taxes?

No, you cannot deduct the entire house payment for your rental property. However, you can deduct the mortgage interest and real estate taxes that you paid for the property as part of your rental expenses.  Additionally, you can take an annual depreciation deduction for the building over the life of the building.

The combination of the three items should approximate your house payment, but you cannot take the payment itself as a deduction.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Fern

No, you cannot deduct the entire house payment for your rental property. However, you can deduct the mortgage interest and real estate taxes that you paid for the property as part of your rental expenses.  Additionally, you can take an annual depreciation deduction for the building over the life of the building.

The combination of the three items should approximate your house payment, but you cannot take the payment itself as a deduction.
smmm

Can you also deduct property insurance?

@smmm wrote:

Can you also deduct property insurance?

For a rental property?  Yes.

mwhite101

Can you deduct pool company and landscaping maintenance costs?

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS lets you deduct ordinary and necessary expenses required to manage, conserve, or maintain property that you rent to others.

I do not know your exact situation, but pool and landscaping maintenance costs could certainly qualify.

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies