turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gabriel1

My dependent is listed on lease, so they received a CRP for half the rent paid. They don't qualify to file it. Do i file both of our CRP's in my M1PR? What can i do?

Landlord is required to give each "roommate" a separate CRP showing they each paid an equal amount - regardless of the portion actually paid.   

I paid all of the rent and they are my dependent.  Do i lose out on the additional credit for $ paid since the landlord needed to divide it equally?  Or am I able to submit both forms with my M1PR since the other person is listed as my dependent and had no income in 2017?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

My dependent is listed on lease, so they received a CRP for half the rent paid. They don't qualify to file it. Do i file both of our CRP's in my M1PR? What can i do?

Yes, add them both to yours.

See last point on page 6 of the instructions:

http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/Forms_and_Instructions/m1pr_inst_17.pdf#page=6

That link is not working.  I have the same question.  So I'll add my dependent son's CRP to my M1PR filing.  Thanks for the help!

Just got a letter from MN Dept of revenue. Saying I used the wrong  amount entered from the renters rebate table. I sent both my CRP and my daughters, apparently they are wrong and we’re using just my CRP to calculate the rebate. Even though on the M1PR on line 16 I included the total rent paid  Line 3 on my CRP and line 3 of my under 18 dependent daughter’s CRP. Obviously they are incompetent and didn’t see I included it and used the incorrect amount. Has any one else in mn had this issue? 

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, it is still correct to combine your portion and your dependent's portion on line 16 of the M1PR. The original question was from 2019, but the 2020 instructions are the same but at a different link on the Minnesota website. Please click here and it is covered at the bottom of page 6. Minnesota Renter's Tax Refund

I would recommend making a copy of the letter you received from Minnesota and return it with your reply, as instructed in the letter. You can provide a copy of page 6 from their instructions and explain the other amount is your dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I wonder the same issue as my significant other claimed me as a dependent. Should I have submitted my CRP with his? The link states the page is not found. 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Yes, your significant other should have submitted both CRPs on his return.

@MinnesotaMaggs 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your help and input, @RobertB4444

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies