Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mms0121

My daughter is in college; lives in an apartment. Regarding 529 allowable expenses, can I use the colleges usual expense or do I have to save every grocery store receipt.

Colleges report a dollar amount to the IRS listing the allowable amount for room and board that can be reimbursed from our 529 account. My daughter just moved into an apartment. So, can I just use the amount for room and board as reported to the IRS by my daughters college? Or do I have to have her save each and every grocery store, coffee shop, and restaurant receipt to justify the 529 reimbursement?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My daughter is in college; lives in an apartment. Regarding 529 allowable expenses, can I use the colleges usual expense or do I have to save every grocery store receipt.

I'm of the opinion that you can safely use college allowance for that. Although the actual wording is actual expenses "up to"  that amount. 

The wording also specifies the room & board amount the college uses to calculate student aid; which is not necessarily the amount it actually charges students for room & board.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm of the opinion that you can safely use college allowance for that. Although the actual wording is actual expenses "up to"  that amount. 

The wording also specifies the room & board amount the college uses to calculate student aid; which is not necessarily the amount it actually charges students for room & board.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies