mark121281

My 1099 lists "Gross proceeds investment expense" and this is being listed as sales profits. How can this be fixed?

KrisD15

Apparently the company sells shares monthly to pay it's fees. 

The sales are income to you even though you never see the proceeds, instead they are used to pay the fees. 

Below is a link with more information:

1099 thread

mark121281

Thanks for the feedback. I still dont know how to move on though. Turbo Tax keeps reminding me to review these "Gross proceeds investment expense" items but adding my cost basis or date of purchase does not help. Im stuck on this to file.

KrisD15

When you entered your basis, did you click "I need to adjust my total cost basis" and then selected any codes to go with it? 

Is this for gold? 

mark121281

Its for GBTC (Bitcoin Trust). Small monthly expenses show up under a category on my 1099 as:

UNDETERMINED TERM TRANSACTIONS FOR NONCOVERED TAX LOTS [Ordinary gains or losses are identified in the Additional information column] (Line 5)
Report on Form 8949, Part I with Box B checked or Part II with Box E checked. Basis is NOT provided to the IRS. (Line 12)
“Date acquired,” “Cost or other basis,” "Accrued market discount," "Wash sale loss disallowed" and “Gain or loss (-)” are NOT reported to the IRS.

Turbo Tax sends me to a page with:

Sales section title

This contains keywords like: short term, long-term, reported, not reported, covered, and not covered.Covered and reported mean the same thing.
Example: Short-term transactions for which basis is reported to IRS.

And then asks for sales info etc...  Even though this is not a sale.

AmyC

The company is selling your shares to pay expenses each month. These are sales. You must report them and you need to put in the basis for each of these sales.

The term not covered means the brokerage does not know your basis and you  must enter it.

Covered means the brokerage thinks they know your basis.

Reported means it has been reported to the IRS on a tax form, You have the tax form.

Starry

But how can I find out the cost basis of the "Gross proceeds investment expense"? It is not listed on the 1099. 

For me it is GLD and SLV. The form only listed the 1c date, Quantity is all 0, 1d- Proceeds & 6- Reported (G)ross or (N)et, Data acquired: NA. Then in Additional information it listed Principal payment Cost Basis Factor. How should I proceed?

parthchandak02

I am having the same issue - please help! What do I do with the gross proceeds? They do not have a cost basis listed in my 1099. 

CatinaT1

Please review the answers and links in this thread.  They will answer your question.

mccshark

Why did you bother replying, you added no value.

Below is a link with more information:

1099 thread

royandgiselle

Just in case this helps anyone in the future, here's what I did (and I believe this is the right thing to do)...

Find out your purchase date (i.e. 01/01/2018) - the sale will remain in "Review" status unless you enter this.

Find out your earliest purchase price, since the default is First in, First out (FIFO) (i.e. $15)

Find out the number of shares. (i.e. 5000)

Your 1099 will look something like this:

11/24/20 0.000 24.81 N/A ... ... ... Principal payment 16 Cost Basis Factor: 0.[removed]

So to calculate your cost basis, you do this:

(Share price) x (# of shares) x (Cost Basis Factor) = Cost Basis

In my example, it would look like this:

$15 x 5000 x 0.[removed] = $24.42

That means my gain/loss = 0.39 (or zero as far as IRS is concerned.)

I had over 60 of these transactions, so it was extremely tedious.

Hope this helps someone.