turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KMR81

I recently opened an account with TD Ameritrade. Do I need to report anything on my tax return if I haven't withdrawn any funds from the account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I recently opened an account with TD Ameritrade. Do I need to report anything on my tax return if I haven't withdrawn any funds from the account?

You must enter the gain or loss on sales of securities, dividends and interest earned, etc. regardless of whether you withdrew money from your account or not.  TDA will provide you with a form known as a Consolidated 1099-B which includes all the information you need.  Many of these are now available (I got mine online yesterday).  And in the TDA Tax Center on your account screen they give instructions on how you can have the information in this report automatically downloaded into TT online.  I did it yesterday into my TT Download version and it worked perfectly!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Was this an qualified retirement plan account, such as an IRA, or just a regular account?
KMR81

Just a regular account.

You must enter the gain or loss on sales of securities, dividends and interest earned, etc. regardless of whether you withdrew money from your account or not.  TDA will provide you with a form known as a Consolidated 1099-B which includes all the information you need.  Many of these are now available (I got mine online yesterday).  And in the TDA Tax Center on your account screen they give instructions on how you can have the information in this report automatically downloaded into TT online.  I did it yesterday into my TT Download version and it worked perfectly!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies