Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it reasonable that it has been 5 days and no acceptance of my 2016 return even tho' they took my payment out of my account right away?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is it reasonable that it has been 5 days and no acceptance of my 2016 return even tho' they took my payment out of my account right away?

"Accepted" only means the tax return has passed basic security and SSN/name checks and been downloaded into the IRS system.  The IRS can't debit your bank account for taxes owed until your return is accepted and processed, because before it is accepted, it does not exist in the IRS computer system.

On the other hand, turbotax will collect any required fees before you are allowed to transmit the return.

Check your tax return status with the link above.  During peak season the IRS generally accepts or rejects returns in 3 days or less, but they may be slow this time of year, and the "where's my refund" system (and maybe other systems) will be down for Columbus Day weekend. 

If your return is pending, keep waiting.

If it was rejected, you have a technical error that needs correcting, or you may need to print and file by mail.

If it was accepted, then everything is fine.

If it was accepted or rejected, you should get an email message.  If you didn't, the email address in your tax return might have been typed wrong (the email address in your return can be different than on your turbotax account), or the email on your turbotax account might be out of date, or the email was sent to a spam filter.  You might want to check on those possibilities.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If they took the payment then the return as been accepted for processing ... check again here :  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp">https://turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_s...>

..............and.paying the software fees doesn't mean you have actually filed yet  (state filing fee of $25 for desktop software)

........but the link @Critter#2 provided will tell you whether you have actually filed or not yet.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Who took the payment out?  The payment for the Tax Due or for the Turbo Tax fees?

"Accepted" only means the tax return has passed basic security and SSN/name checks and been downloaded into the IRS system.  The IRS can't debit your bank account for taxes owed until your return is accepted and processed, because before it is accepted, it does not exist in the IRS computer system.

On the other hand, turbotax will collect any required fees before you are allowed to transmit the return.

Check your tax return status with the link above.  During peak season the IRS generally accepts or rejects returns in 3 days or less, but they may be slow this time of year, and the "where's my refund" system (and maybe other systems) will be down for Columbus Day weekend. 

If your return is pending, keep waiting.

If it was rejected, you have a technical error that needs correcting, or you may need to print and file by mail.

If it was accepted, then everything is fine.

If it was accepted or rejected, you should get an email message.  If you didn't, the email address in your tax return might have been typed wrong (the email address in your return can be different than on your turbotax account), or the email on your turbotax account might be out of date, or the email was sent to a spam filter.  You might want to check on those possibilities.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies