Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim mortgage deduction on a house in Texas I co-own with my parents, if I myself rent an apartment and live in California?

My parents are going to live in the house in Texas. I will neither live in nor have any income in Texas.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim mortgage deduction on a house in Texas I co-own with my parents, if I myself rent an apartment and live in California?

If your name is on the title to the home in Texas, you are listed on the mortgage and you make payments on the mortgage you can deduct the interest on the home on your tax return. 

Home being in Texas has no impact and actually nowhere in TurboTax do you need to say where the home is located. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If your name is on the title to the home in Texas, you are listed on the mortgage and you make payments on the mortgage you can deduct the interest on the home on your tax return. 

Home being in Texas has no impact and actually nowhere in TurboTax do you need to say where the home is located. 

Does the house not being my residence have any impact?

No, it could be considered your 2nd home and it gets entered in the same place in TurboTax.

Got it! Thanks!

my pleasure
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies