I sold a rental property that had suspended passive losses. Can those passive losses be used to offset the depreciation recapture tax?

The suspended passive losses cannot be used to offset depreciation recapture.

But you can fully deduct these suspended passive losses when you sell your rental property in a qualifying disposition.

Under IRC § 469(g), a “qualifying disposition” requires three criteria:

1. Disposition of an entire interest (or substantially all)

2. In a fully taxable event (where all gain/loss is realized and recognized).

3. To an unrelated party.

In order to release the suspended losses, there must be a complete disposition to an unrelated party in which all gain or loss realized is recognized. In other words, the gain or loss must be recognized, but not necessarily included in gross income.

3. To an unrelated party.

Yes, the sale is a qualify disposition.    Can those released passive losses be used to offset ordinary income then?

Yes, they are deducted from ordinary income.

Thank a lot for explaining TurboTaxMinhT.

How/where can I see that TT is deducting this from ordinary income? Do I need to pay first?

I second that. Where do you enter the suspended PALs?

So the 2 out of last 5 yrs rule applies to me and so I can exclude gains - ie it is no longer a qualifying event - then does it mean the passive losses are now post forever? The sale is done or they can keep carrying forward to a future sale?

Can anyone elaborate on those first two conditions? 1. Disposition of an entire interest (or substantially all) 2. In a fully taxable event (where all gain/loss is realized and recognized). Does the entire interest has to dispose in the same tax year? In other words, if I have grouped my rental properties in my tax returns, do I have to sell them all in the same year to be able to fully deduct the suspended passive loss? And can those loss to offset some of the description recapture taxes, not just capital gain?

Is there a MAGI limit/phase out to this? I have a large suspended PAL this year (sod the rental property), am seeing a large "gain" because of asset depreciation every year, and cannot seem to offset the gain with my PAL (TT reports a PAL, but no tax benefit) -- this doesn't seem right: without (or with less) depreciation, landing PAL to near 0, and reducing "gain" tax seems to be lower? Depreciation increasing tax at rental property sales time for high MAGI cases?

I have a partnership that liquidated.  I have told TT that is is a final K-1 and that the partnership was dissolved.  But it is still carrying over all of the passive losses instead of releasing them. How to I get TT to release the passive losses for this final year?