turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I own two houses both bought prior to 2017. In February I moved from one to the other. I received one month rent on one and 11 on the other. How do I account for this?

The house I now occupy has historically been my rental income property. I received one month's rent in 2017 for it. The house I left earned 11 months rent in 2017
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

I own two houses both bought prior to 2017. In February I moved from one to the other. I received one month rent on one and 11 on the other. How do I account for this?

You'll enter each house as a rental property and indicate that you converted it to a different use in 2017. During the rental interview, TurboTax prompts Do any of these situations apply to this property? Scroll down and select the appropriate response under Converted depending on which house you are working on. (Click the first two screenshots below for reference.) Your choices are:

• I converted this property from personal use to a rental in 2017
  • I converted this property from a rental to personal use in 2017

TurboTax will walk you through the process of entering your rental information, and you may click the Learn More links for additional guidance. When you are finished entering the first house in the rental section you'll end up on the Rental and Royalty Summary. Click +Add Another Rental or Royalty to repeat the process for your second house. (Click the third screenshot below for reference.)

The FAQ has instructions for getting to the rental section in TurboTax.

Where do I enter income and expenses from a rental property?     https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288530

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LindaA
Expert Alumni

You'll enter each house as a rental property and indicate that you converted it to a different use in 2017. During the rental interview, TurboTax prompts Do any of these situations apply to this property? Scroll down and select the appropriate response under Converted depending on which house you are working on. (Click the first two screenshots below for reference.) Your choices are:

• I converted this property from personal use to a rental in 2017
  • I converted this property from a rental to personal use in 2017

TurboTax will walk you through the process of entering your rental information, and you may click the Learn More links for additional guidance. When you are finished entering the first house in the rental section you'll end up on the Rental and Royalty Summary. Click +Add Another Rental or Royalty to repeat the process for your second house. (Click the third screenshot below for reference.)

The FAQ has instructions for getting to the rental section in TurboTax.

Where do I enter income and expenses from a rental property?     https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288530
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies