eadove

I only received AirBnB funds due to a 3-day cancellation. I didn't plan to report it since it was less than 14 days. They sent me a 1099-MISC. Do I have to report it?

As this is my primary residence, I know that I would not report activity if it is less than 14 days of rental.  However, I don't remember getting a 1099-MISC in 2019 when I did 8 days of rental.  The unique refunding structure of how I received this money for a cancelled 3-day rental has me unsure the appropriate reporting this year though.
DavidD66

If you don't report the 1099-MISC, more than likely you will eventually get a letter from the IRS about the missing income.  You can avoid this by claiming the rental income and reporting an expense for the same amount.  Call it something like (Adjustment for non-reportable income or similar.)  This will net to zero and you will not owe any tax on the amount received. 

ratings image
eadove

Thanks for the help!